Monday, August 22, 2011

Knee recovery update

Today was my 6 week check up on my knee!  6 weeks ago today I had a knee surgery - it is crazy.. it did feel long, yet it went quite quick.

The doctor was very impressed with the recovery.  He said I am much further along in my recovery than expected (or most people with similar knee problem at 6 weeks post-op).

I had a physio check up the afternoon as well.  The physio told me the doctor said to her that I am at the stage in recovery he thought I would only get to at about 3 months.  Even one of the other physio's congratulated me.

The doctor seemed to think the reason for my excellent progress is that I have been really careful.  I think that the Lord is so amazing and that He is helping my recovery along with the effort I am putting into it (physio exercises) and being careful!

I had to walk with crutches since the surgery (actually before it already when I re-injured as per my previous post).  I have been walking on 1 crutch for a while and today I am finally OFF the crutch!  I have been in a state of euphoria all day! It is totally AWESOME!!!  :-)

Now you may ask why I am so excited to be off my crutch - especially since I was walking with 1 and not 2... the crutch is annoying, my wrist gets really very sore from using it (switch to other side and then that wrist also aches), it slows me down and is in the way and makes it difficult to carry things (like groceries) etc.  I could go on, but don't wanna bore you or start sounding negative - too happy for that!!!

I am not allowed to bend my knee very much (as in doing squats or stuff like that where my knee really bends hectically).  I have to still be very careful and all that.

Good exercises to do for knees:  swimming & cycling.  I will start out on a stationery bike at first...

When I started walking without my crutch it felt sooo weird... limping in my walking and such, but it will get better.

Thank you Lord!!!

No comments: